Request to rsc fans in India (OT)
R. Bharat Rao
2005-03-16 00:41:25 UTC
Greetings to India rsc'ers

I am in India for the next couple of weeks and the good news
is that I'll get to see a lot of cricket. The bad news is that
I'll miss "March Madness" -- the US College Basketball tourney --
just about my favorite annual sporting event -- right when my
beloved Illini are the unanimous #1 in the country.

So the question is, do any of the many tv sports channels in
India show the NCAA basketball tournament? I know a lot of NBA
games are televised in this sports-mad country (talk about tv
sports heaven), but is college basketball? Specifically the
March US National tourney?

If so, I'd really appreciate any info. The first 4 rounds of
the tourney will be played Thu-Sun (US time) this week and then
again the following week. So any info is appreciated.

(Yes, yes -- I do realize that it is sacrilegous to compare the
"good news" of watching cricket, both live and on tv, with
the "bad news" of missing some college basketball, and it goes
without saying that they are not in the same league. But if
somehow I could get to see both, hey why the heck not..)

And Aslam will understand the pain of missing out when your
college, for long a hoops also-ran, is now really really good!

Please post and also email me at ***@yahoo-nospam-this.com
removing the nospam part to reply.

Thanks a ton in advance,

Bharat
r***@gmail.com
2005-03-16 01:03:58 UTC
I don't think any Channel will broadcast US college Basketball
tournament in India. Only source for you will be the web. I don't want
to insult you, but want to know why anybody in India will be interested
in US college basketball.Unless and until they have studied here which
will be like 0.05% of them. Some time back Regis Philbin was
complaining of not being able to watch U.S. Baseball matches when he
visited Australia and more that he was whining about Australian sports
channels broadcasting Cricket all through the day. I don't understand
the mentallity of these people who consider a sport played between 2
clubs as the world sport. These people are like frogs in the well.

Regards,
venkatesh
b***@mailinator.com
2005-03-16 07:21:18 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
in US college basketball.Unless and until they have studied here which
will be like 0.05% of them.
I am part of that 0.05% I suppose and I wanted to watch the madness as
well, but alas it ain't being showed on any channel we get in chennai.
In a few years it might change... we already get vh1,an awesome
middle-eastern channel with nice movies and sitcoms, cspan on
weekends(on VOA tv) and plenty of other foreign channels, all courtesy
of dish tv.
Post by r***@gmail.com
Some time back Regis Philbin was
complaining of not being able to watch U.S. Baseball matches when he
visited Australia and more that he was whining about Australian sports
channels broadcasting Cricket all through the day. I don't understand
the mentallity of these people who consider a sport played between 2
clubs as the world sport. These people are like frogs in the well.
The irony is you are one of these proverbial frogs and don't like what
you don't understand. Not that I wanted to insult you or anything.
Post by r***@gmail.com
Regards,
venkatesh
Rajagopal
CiL
2005-03-16 11:19:47 UTC
Post by b***@mailinator.com
I am part of that 0.05% I suppose and I wanted to watch the madness as
well, but alas it ain't being showed on any channel we get in chennai.
In a few years it might change... we already get vh1,an awesome
middle-eastern channel with nice movies and sitcoms, cspan on
weekends(on VOA tv) and plenty of other foreign channels, all courtesy
of dish tv.
what is this nice middle eastern channel u get? btw ur college
basketball rubbish iirc used to be shown at espn, maybe now they have
stopped showing it. i rmbr seeing those cheergirls trying to jump out
of their costumes.
Post by r***@gmail.com
channels broadcasting Cricket all through the day. I don't understand
the mentallity of these people who consider a sport played between 2
clubs as the world sport. These people are like frogs in the well.
The irony is you are one of these proverbial frogs and don't like what
you don't understand. Not that I wanted to insult you or anything.
naan karai aeriten, neenga.....

CiL
Post by b***@mailinator.com
Post by r***@gmail.com
Regards,
venkatesh
Rajagopal
Cricketwallah
2005-03-16 12:45:56 UTC
Post by CiL
Post by b***@mailinator.com
of dish tv.
what is this nice middle eastern channel u get?
Yes, what is this "nice middle eastern channel"? I didnt think
one existed in all the world - how does Chennai happen to
find one?
Post by CiL
btw ur college
basketball rubbish iirc used to be shown at espn, maybe now they have
stopped showing it. i rmbr seeing those cheergirls trying to jump out
of their costumes.
ESPN shows college basketball regularly, even in the USA - but
not "March Madness". They dont have the rights. I recall seeing
college basketball in India on ESPN too, but again it wasnt
"The Tournament". The 64-team NCAA tournament is the
culmination of a season's worth of college basketball - the
season starts in about October/November and ends basically
with the final of the NCAA tournament, which often ends up
being the first couple days of April. ESPN, along with a
lot of other channels, can show stuff thru the regular
season - thats what I saw in India IIRC. But the final
tournament itself is *huge*, pretty much everyone in the
country bets on it and follows it, no matter if their college
is playing or not (or even if they went to college or not).
Just this season-ending tournament alone is exclusively on
CBS in the USA - and to get that exclusive right, CBS paid
the NCAA One *billion* dollars over 7 years. I dont know
if CBS has sold the rights to anyone in India - but I
doubt it very much (at least until 3/4 years ago IIRC they
had not).
Post by CiL
Post by CiL
Post by b***@mailinator.com
Post by r***@gmail.com
the mentallity of these people who consider a sport played between 2
clubs as the world sport. These people are like frogs in the well.
The irony is you are one of these proverbial frogs and don't like what
you don't understand. Not that I wanted to insult you or anything.
naan karai aeriten, neenga.....
Is this naan karai much different from the naan-khatai that
I used to have so much of when younger?

BTW, why is cricket so popular anyway? As we've been told
by the BCCI lately, it is *not* India playing, only the
"BCCI XI". So doesnt that make it 2 clubs sides playing
each other in cricket, too? :-) [Me, I think the NCAA's are
one of the greatest sporting events anywhere - no matter
if your own school is in, or if they lose early or
whatever, just the competiton always ends up being
terrific. And unlike poor old Bharat, I'll watch the India-
Pakistan cricket on TV, then grab a few hours of sleep
and get up and watch all the NCAA's over the weekend too,
and follow that up with the Bulls, leading directly to
the India-Pakistan game again. But, for Bharat's sake
(and maybe Samarth's too), I'll raise a mithai to my mouth
in their honour when Illinois eventually goes down in the
Big Dance ;-)

Sadiq [ who has always been partial to Coach K, but doesnt
think he'll even make the Final Four this year ] Yusuf
Post by CiL
CiL
Post by b***@mailinator.com
Post by r***@gmail.com
Regards,
venkatesh
Rajagopal
R. Bharat Rao
2005-03-16 17:17:24 UTC
Post by Cricketwallah
And unlike poor old Bharat, I'll watch the India-
Pakistan cricket on TV, then grab a few hours of sleep
and get up and watch all the NCAA's over the weekend too,
and follow that up with the Bulls, leading directly to
the India-Pakistan game again. But, for Bharat's sake
(and maybe Samarth's too), I'll raise a mithai to my mouth
in their honour when Illinois eventually goes down in the
Big Dance ;-)
And make sure you look for me in the stands at Bangalore!

Bharat [who'd trade a dozen final fours for a Ind-Pak Test
in person, and has plenty of mitthai here, thanks v. much]

PS: And why the heck don't you write MR's if you are going
to see the game on TV you bozo -- here I am wasting valuable
India time composing MR's when I could be off seeing "Black"
or some other flick...

PPS: You do Kol, I'll do the Bangalore MR's
Aditya Basrur
2005-03-16 20:37:27 UTC
Post by b***@mailinator.com
Post by CiL
Post by b***@mailinator.com
I am part of that 0.05% I suppose and I wanted to watch the
madness
Post by b***@mailinator.com
as
Post by CiL
Post by b***@mailinator.com
of dish tv.
what is this nice middle eastern channel u get?
Yes, what is this "nice middle eastern channel"? I didnt think
one existed in all the world - how does Chennai happen to
find one?
I seem to remember some interesting Egyptian TV channels. Unless
Rajagopal is mistaking Canal+ (which is French) for a Middle Eastern
channel. I remember it being *very* nice - especially late at night,
for a fourteen year old boy.
Post by b***@mailinator.com
BTW, why is cricket so popular anyway? As we've been told
by the BCCI lately, it is *not* India playing, only the
"BCCI XI". So doesnt that make it 2 clubs sides playing
each other in cricket, too? :-) [Me, I think the NCAA's are
one of the greatest sporting events anywhere - no matter
if your own school is in, or if they lose early or
whatever, just the competiton always ends up being
terrific. And unlike poor old Bharat, I'll watch the India-
Pakistan cricket on TV, then grab a few hours of sleep
and get up and watch all the NCAA's over the weekend too,
and follow that up with the Bulls, leading directly to
the India-Pakistan game again. But, for Bharat's sake
(and maybe Samarth's too), I'll raise a mithai to my mouth
in their honour when Illinois eventually goes down in the
Big Dance ;-)
OK, now they're assured. Finally a team Sadiq isn't willing to foow out
of a championship.

Aditya [ And they said miracles don't happen. ] Basrur
R. Bharat Rao
2005-03-17 04:01:32 UTC
Post by Aditya Basrur
Post by Cricketwallah
the India-Pakistan game again. But, for Bharat's sake
(and maybe Samarth's too), I'll raise a mithai to my mouth
in their honour when Illinois eventually goes down in the
Big Dance ;-)
OK, now they're assured. Finally a team Sadiq isn't willing to foow out
of a championship.
Aditya [ And they said miracles don't happen. ] Basrur
Shhh... I saw that too and Samarth did as well, I'm sure.

It isn't too late for Sadiq to change his tune to "I saw them
play and after the first two rounds they are looking the best
team out there" or some other such foow that will surely doom
the Illni.

So let reverse-sleeping dogs lie er.. wake.. grasshopper.

Bharat
Cricketwallah
2005-03-17 13:41:53 UTC
Post by R. Bharat Rao
Post by Cricketwallah
the India-Pakistan game again. But, for Bharat's sake
(and maybe Samarth's too), I'll raise a mithai to my mouth
in their honour when Illinois eventually goes down in the
Big Dance ;-)
Shhh... I saw that too and Samarth did as well, I'm sure.
It isn't too late for Sadiq to change his tune to "I saw them
play and after the first two rounds they are looking the best
team out there" or some other such foow that will surely doom
the Illni.
Theyve been the best team all year - but its a very weak
conference, so that always makes it very different IMHO.
Theyre in the easiest bracket by far, so Final Four should
be a piece of cake (but for OKS, but we'll see if theyre
any good). But until they actually win a title one can
tease - might as well get it all in before April arrives :-)

Sadiq [ and Weber has an awful voice, too ] Yusuf
Bharat
Aditya Basrur
2005-03-17 19:16:06 UTC
Post by Cricketwallah
Post by R. Bharat Rao
Post by Cricketwallah
the India-Pakistan game again. But, for Bharat's sake
(and maybe Samarth's too), I'll raise a mithai to my mouth
in their honour when Illinois eventually goes down in the
Big Dance ;-)
Shhh... I saw that too and Samarth did as well, I'm sure.
It isn't too late for Sadiq to change his tune to "I saw them
play and after the first two rounds they are looking the best
team out there" or some other such foow that will surely doom
the Illni.
Theyve been the best team all year - but its a very weak
conference, so that always makes it very different IMHO.
Theyre in the easiest bracket by far, so Final Four should
be a piece of cake (but for OKS, but we'll see if theyre
any good). But until they actually win a title one can
tease - might as well get it all in before April arrives :-)
My apologies, Bharat. Your team is fixed now.

Aditya
Southpaw
2005-03-17 23:12:04 UTC
Post by Cricketwallah
Post by R. Bharat Rao
Post by Cricketwallah
the India-Pakistan game again. But, for Bharat's sake
(and maybe Samarth's too), I'll raise a mithai to my mouth
in their honour when Illinois eventually goes down in the
Big Dance ;-)
Shhh... I saw that too and Samarth did as well, I'm sure.
It isn't too late for Sadiq to change his tune to "I saw them
play and after the first two rounds they are looking the best
team out there" or some other such foow that will surely doom
the Illni.
Theyve been the best team all year - but its a very weak
conference, so that always makes it very different IMHO.
But then, we beat Wake Forest, Gonzaga and Cincinnati, who're not in
our conference, and two of whom are in the top 10.

The pity is that we're not going to make the Final Four, and people
like you are going to say, "they really weren't that good all year
long", which IMO is not true. We were *fantastic* early in the season
but such a long run at #1 means that contenders have gotten a good look
at the strength of the team (the guards) and been able to work out its
weakness (shooting).

The weakness of our conference has hurt us because, while we were
simply too hot early in the season, we still had a few chinks, and
nobody in our conference found them. So we had no opportunity to fix
them. Now we're going to meet teams who've found our chinks by looking
at us at #1 week after week, and have had a chance to cover theirs up
since their conferences were stronger.

But when the season began we were creaming the top teams. Wake Forest
were #1 when we played them, and we absolutely murdered 'em.

-Samarth.
Bharat
a***@my-deja.com
2005-03-17 19:18:56 UTC
Cal, Cal,Cal.

Cheers
Arun
dp
2005-03-20 22:43:58 UTC
Post by Cricketwallah
BTW, why is cricket so popular anyway? As we've been told
by the BCCI lately, it is *not* India playing, only the
"BCCI XI". So doesnt that make it 2 clubs sides playing
each other in cricket, too? :-)
ah, finally the realization has dawned...

dp
Uday Rajan
2005-03-20 23:54:55 UTC
Post by dp
Post by Cricketwallah
BTW, why is cricket so popular anyway? As we've been told
by the BCCI lately, it is *not* India playing, only the
"BCCI XI". So doesnt that make it 2 clubs sides playing
each other in cricket, too? :-)
ah, finally the realization has dawned...
Oh, I missed that bit, did a BCCI representative/spokesperson
really say that?
dp
2005-03-21 00:33:39 UTC
Yes, in the Supreme Court, no less, during the telecast rights case
proceedings. BCCI had first awarded the rights to Zee and then
cancelled it. Zee went to court on the grounds that BCCI is a statutory
body and hence under some article of the constitution they cannot take
arbitrary and unfair decisions. BCCI's argument was that they are not a
statutory body at all, but just a simple private club and hence the
article in question does not apply to them. During the hearings, one of
the judges asked, "So, if you are private club, then who do the players
represent, BCCI or the country?", to which the BCCI lawyer responded
that they represent BCCI, not India. The case went on for months and
finally supreme court decided the case in BCCI's favour saying that it
is a private club and not part of "the State". This was widely reported
in the Indian media at that time.

dp
dp
2005-03-21 01:14:55 UTC
oh btw, when BCCI said this in court, Kapil went to press crying that
BCCI has insulted all the former players by saying that they only
played for a private club and not the country. I wonder what he thought
of the Supreme Court's decision. Maybe he felt insulted by that too.

dp [he must be a bigger fool than I thought he was if he played for 15
years without realizing that he was playing for a private club]
Uday Rajan
2005-03-21 02:08:05 UTC
Post by dp
oh btw, when BCCI said this in court, Kapil went to press crying that
BCCI has insulted all the former players by saying that they only
played for a private club and not the country. I wonder what he thought
of the Supreme Court's decision. Maybe he felt insulted by that too.
dp [he must be a bigger fool than I thought he was if he played for 15
years without realizing that he was playing for a private club]
Oh come, that's a little unfair. Many players talk of the thrill
of playing for their country, so Kapil's obviously not the only
one who hasn't realized he played for a private club.

I've always found this "pride in playing for the country" stuff a
bit over the top, so it doesn't exactly disappoint me for the
BCCI to admit that the players are only playing for a club. But
there are plenty of people who buy into it, and I'd wager that
most of the players do as well.
dp
2005-03-21 02:50:24 UTC
Post by Uday Rajan
Post by dp
dp [he must be a bigger fool than I thought he was if he played for 15
years without realizing that he was playing for a private club]
Oh come, that's a little unfair.
I guess. As an Economic Times article (titled "Sachin doesn't play for
India") said, generations have been misled into believing that the team
represents the country and perhaps the players are also among those who
have been similarly fooled. But I always thought all that talk of
"pride in playing for the country" was just PR material. To play for 15
years and not know who you are playing for...

dp
dp
2005-03-21 03:06:23 UTC
Here is the Times article I mentioned.
http://cricket.indiatimes.com/articleshow/851406.cms

"Generations have been misled into believing that Indians own Indian
cricket"

dp
b***@mailinator.com
2005-03-16 13:18:28 UTC
Post by CiL
Post by b***@mailinator.com
of dish tv.
what is this nice middle eastern channel u get?
If you have SCV, it is channel 97...it is called One. There is another
channel (78) from the same group appropriately called 2, which has
movies (albeit bad ones mostly) 24/7.
Post by CiL
btw ur college
basketball rubbish iirc used to be shown at espn, maybe now they have
stopped showing it. i rmbr seeing those cheergirls trying to jump out
of their costumes.
Yes, I remember watching those 10-11 years back and not having any idea
what Big East or Big Ten or ACC meant and what the top 25 meant
....those were the days of "Prime Sports". I would love that channel
now.

<snipped>
Post by CiL
CiL
Rajagopal
CiL
2005-03-16 14:41:29 UTC
nah.. 'hathway' here..so dont get these 2 channels.
CiL
2005-03-17 04:37:43 UTC
Post by CiL
Post by b***@mailinator.com
If you have SCV, it is channel 97...it is called One. There is another
channel (78) from the same group appropriately called 2, which has
movies (albeit bad ones mostly) 24/7.
nah.. 'hathway' here..so dont get these 2 channels.
I found the channel '2' this morning! wonder where 1 is hiding. also
found a channel called zoom. some channel called '3' (it has tv5 asia
in lhs side n '3' in rhs side)

u say 1 is the best channel of this lot, it has sitcoms... hopefully I
shall find it!
r***@gmail.com
2005-03-16 19:08:08 UTC
It is not the question of whether I understand or not. It is the
ignorance or more of arrogance of the people that if they play or watch
some sport they expect the whole world to do the same.
-- Venkatesh
Aditya Basrur
2005-03-16 20:40:48 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
It is not the question of whether I understand or not. It is the
ignorance or more of arrogance of the people that if they play or watch
some sport they expect the whole world to do the same.
-- Venkatesh
Balls. We're living in an information age (supposedly). Indians who
move abroad still log on to Indian newspapers almost daily. CNN is
broadcast everywhere. NZ sports channels broadcast kabaddi world
championships. Where's the harm in wondering if you can get to see your
favourite sport while in India?

Aditya [ Decent rasmalai might help ease the pain. ] Basrur
Andrew Dunford
2005-03-16 22:25:27 UTC
"Aditya Basrur" <***@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:***@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

<snip>
Post by Aditya Basrur
Balls.
No balls.

<snip>

Andrew
Afzal A. Khan
2005-03-16 02:13:27 UTC
Post by R. Bharat Rao
[...]
I think your best bet is to request some friends to
tape the games for you and let you have them on your
return. I am sure you can return the favour when it
is their turn to miss some favourite programmes.

A. A. Khan
dodo
2005-03-16 03:04:52 UTC
Post by R. Bharat Rao
Greetings to India rsc'ers
I am in India for the next couple of weeks and the good news
is that I'll get to see a lot of cricket. The bad news is that
I'll miss "March Madness" -- the US College Basketball tourney --
just about my favorite annual sporting event -- right when my
beloved Illini are the unanimous #1 in the country.
snip
Post by R. Bharat Rao
Thanks a ton in advance,
Bharat
I am sure you can hear the games online (and maybe even see them).
The audio can be purchased at http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab

I know for the university I follow (who won the NCAA a couple of years
ago ...) the audio broadcast can be heard for free off the team's web
site, but you need to purchase it if you go through yahoo.

Yahoo purchased the original audio content provider broadcast.com
several years ago.
Halekala
2005-03-16 03:23:44 UTC
Post by R. Bharat Rao
[...]
I must say, you did not plan your trip quite perfectly, did you?

Well don't worry, Illinois ain't going to make it!! Man, they got an easy
bracket! Although my alma mater LSU is in, I am hoping UNC gets it all.

Now my point. This is exactly when you need something called SlingBox! It
can't come fast enough! This box will enable us broadcast our TV over the
web. Go to http://www.slingmedia.com/ and see what I am talking about. Of
course, you can build a computer with a tuner card to enable broadcast, but
this box will do the trick and it will be cheaper! You could've watched the
March Madness on your US TV using this box.

I can offer you highlights of Illinois games if you would like! I can upload
highlights to a website of the games or the ESPN Sporscenter.

Regards,
Halekala
Southpaw
2005-03-16 17:46:55 UTC
Halekala wrote:

<snip>
Post by Halekala
Well don't worry, Illinois ain't going to make it!! Man, they got an easy
bracket!
It's a wonder what the best regular season record of the last decade
can do for you.

-Samarth.
Halekala
Illini - Too soft!
Southpaw
2005-03-16 06:32:30 UTC
Post by R. Bharat Rao
[...]
I don't know how long ago you're talking about, but in the 7 years I've
been here, Illinois have been Big Ten champs 5 times. (I was watching
Gene Keady's farewell on TV at Purdue, and burst out laughing when they
commended him on his 6 Big Ten championships in 25 years.) We've
reached the Big Ten tournament semis 6 straight times now, which I
believe is a unique achievement. In the last 7 years we've routinely
made the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney. We've reached the Sweet
Sixteens twice or thrice, and Elite Eights once. Not quite Duke, but
not an also-ran either IMO. Very few teams have consistently done
better - Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Arizona, and maybe one or two
others?

The mood here before the Ohio State loss was positively electric. A
party semester if there ever was one. Right now everyone's a bit
apprehensive, since we've not been so hot since the Ohio State game. To
me the feeling is all too familiar. It's like watching India play
Pakistan in a series: as it winds down to the business end of things,
you start wondering exactly when we're going to choke.

-Samarth [ 33-1 Thursday night, perhaps 34-1 against Texas/Nevada to
put us in the SS yet again. But, if the draw plays out, tough games
against Boston College and Ok State after that. ].

is now really really good!
Bharat
Southpaw
2005-03-16 06:58:34 UTC
<snip>

Post by Southpaw
made the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney. We've reached the Sweet
Sixteens twice or thrice, and Elite Eights once.
Just checked. In the last 6 years, 2 exits in the round of 32, 3 in the
Sweet Sixteens and one in the Elite Eights.

-Samarth.
Cricketwallah
2005-03-16 13:11:18 UTC
Post by Southpaw
Post by R. Bharat Rao
Greetings to India rsc'ers
And Aslam will understand the pain of missing out when your
college, for long a hoops also-ran,
I don't know how long ago you're talking about, but in the 7 years I've
been here, Illinois have been Big Ten champs 5 times. (I was watching
Gene Keady's farewell on TV at Purdue, and burst out laughing when they
commended him on his 6 Big Ten championships in 25 years.) We've
Its different doing well in the Big Ten when the league as a
whole is "down", than when its doing well, however. Thats
why the perception IMHO is that Illinois hasnt been doing
*that* well, as it appears from above.

And nobody should ever laugh at Gene Keady. He did well with
a Purdue team (where its a lot harder to recruit than in
Illinois, not having a big obvious Chicago-connection which
produces huge numbers of great HS players every year) - and
he won most of his 6 titles when the Big Ten was much better
than it has been lately. Those were the days when the Big
Ten schools were regularly contenders for national titles
and often did very well in the NCAA, and their graduates
often did very well in the NBA too. (Indiana, in the years
that Keady won his titles, won no less than *3* national
championships, they were *that* good - winning a Big Ten
title by actually beating Indiana in those days was really
a heck of an achievement. Illinois didnt do it very much
either - you'll note that good ole Lou-Do was certified
as a dead-set legend by Illinois this year, they even named
a bunch of things after him etc, and he had what, like 1
Big Ten title or something while he had so many "great years"
at Illinois?)

(Note, BTW, that it was when Keady was just about starting
to coach in the Big 10 that Magic Johnson was the best
player in the Big Ten. Who is the best player today? Dee
Brown? Who will be lucky if has 1/16th the career that Magic
had in the pros. The Big Ten quality was just better in
the old days - a fair few national titles, a few national
finals losses, lots of Final Four teams etc. That hasnt
really been the case in the past few years).
Post by Southpaw
reached the Big Ten tournament semis 6 straight times now, which I
believe is a unique achievement. In the last 7 years we've
Iam sure it is. Primarily because the Big Ten Tournament only
started about 7 years ago or so :-) The old days were the
"pure" days - when all you had was a regular season, and
you actually had to earn a title by being consistent against
good teams (what a concept). (The Fab Five at Michigan, 3 of
whom went on to have decade-long careers in the NBA, never
won a single Big Ten title in their years together - despite
actually getting to the National Title game in the NCAA's and
coming within a minute of winning the whole thing).

If you look at "history" in some ways, people will consider
Indiana, MSU, maybe even Michigan etc to be "better" programs
than Illinois. Maybe thats because they have had a few
monster seasons in the past decade and a half, that stick
in the memory longer (Indiana 3 national titles in the past
25 or so years; MSU a title with Magic, and a couple more
Final Fours; Michigan a title too, and also a couple of
Final Four appearances; heck even OSU and Minnesota had
Final Four appearances IIRC. Thats what Illinois hasnt
really done yet - only 1 Final Four appearance ever I
think. The last 5-7 years have been solid in a very down
conference- a conference that seems to be much stronger
in football than basketball nowadays. But that doesnt
stand out much nationally IMHO).

routinely
Post by Southpaw
made the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney. We've reached the Sweet
Sixteens twice or thrice, and Elite Eights once. Not quite Duke, but
not an also-ran either IMO. Very few teams have consistently done
better - Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Arizona, and maybe one or two
others?
Not an also-ran, sure. But you can probably add Kentucky,
UConn etc to the names that stand out more than Illinois even
in the past few years (due to owning national titles, mostly).
UCLA, Wake, Maryland etc have had some monster years that
stick out in the memory too, at the tournament. Even Indiana,
with all their turmoil, ended up with a Final Four and a
National Title game appearance once. Thats the step that
Illinois has never taken, till this season.
Post by Southpaw
The mood here before the Ohio State loss was positively electric. A
party semester if there ever was one. Right now everyone's a bit
apprehensive, since we've not been so hot since the Ohio State game. To
me the feeling is all too familiar. It's like watching India play
Pakistan in a series: as it winds down to the business end of things,
you start wondering exactly when we're going to choke.
Ah, but that was back in 1999. You should look at Illinois
today like you look at India vs Pakistan *today* - with
full confidence that we're gonna win, just like we did *in*
Pakistan last year :-) After all, world cricket is down
just as much as College Basketball is down nowadays (though
in basketball its cos all the good players go to the NBA
out of HS now, or when theyre freshmen, and a Senior-laden
team like Illinois is rare; in cricket its cos all the good
bowlers have retired, and ODIs have eliminated the neccesity
of good bowling :-)
Post by Southpaw
-Samarth [ 33-1 Thursday night, perhaps 34-1 against Texas/Nevada to
put us in the SS yet again. But, if the draw plays out, tough games
against Boston College and Ok State after that. ].
The Powerhouse BC? That finished 4-4? Bah. Its the easiest
bracket of the four, and its all home-games (just like India
against Pakistan this series). Indy/St-Louis aint Mohali :-)

Sadiq [ now as for Illinois' cricket team... ] Yusuf
Post by Southpaw
is now really really good!
Bharat
yeskay
2005-03-16 15:42:00 UTC
Post by Cricketwallah
[...]
What are your views about Shuffle Board World Championship?
While you are at it, please comment on the Italian Bocce league that
has some very exciting players that it has not seen since WWI.
Also, in the last World Championship of Curling, the canadian player
(who is certainly gay, BTW) from Saskatchewan has some interesting
moves on the floor. What are your views about all these.
p***@watt.csl.uiuc.edu
2005-03-16 16:08:43 UTC
Post by yeskay
What are your views about Shuffle Board World Championship?
While you are at it, please comment on the Italian Bocce league that
has some very exciting players that it has not seen since WWI.
Also, in the last World Championship of Curling, the canadian player
(who is certainly gay, BTW) from Saskatchewan has some interesting
moves on the floor. What are your views about all these.
lol! what is shuffle board btw? :)
just wondering.
lt
2005-03-16 17:01:26 UTC
Post by p***@watt.csl.uiuc.edu
Post by yeskay
What are your views about Shuffle Board World Championship?
While you are at it, please comment on the Italian Bocce league that
has some very exciting players that it has not seen since WWI.
Also, in the last World Championship of Curling, the canadian player
(who is certainly gay, BTW) from Saskatchewan has some interesting
moves on the floor. What are your views about all these.
lol! what is shuffle board btw? :)
On a smaller scale it's that maze you used to get with Key-Chains, where you
get three ball bearings to the center by shuffling the board.

Only the WC employs a 6 ft X 8 ft board that can pitch, yaw and roll and one
runs around the board trying to keep a bowling ball at the center of the
table starting from a random corner.

cheers
lt
just wondering.
Vig
2005-03-16 18:12:31 UTC
Post by lt
On a smaller scale it's that maze you used to get with Key-Chains, where you
get three ball bearings to the center by shuffling the board.
Only the WC employs a 6 ft X 8 ft board that can pitch, yaw and roll and one
runs around the board trying to keep a bowling ball at the center of the
table starting from a random corner.
Wrong..

http://www.shuffleboard.net/
Vig
lt
Arrgh..(~)
Southpaw
2005-03-16 17:45:30 UTC
Post by Cricketwallah
Post by Southpaw
Greetings to India rsc'ers
Post by Southpaw
commended him on his 6 Big Ten championships in 25 years.) We've
Its different doing well in the Big Ten when the league as a
whole is "down", than when its doing well, however. Thats
The Big Ten has been "down" only the last two years actually. Gene
Keady himself claimed that it is not "down" at all, during his
farewell. Only last year did the Big Ten only contribute 3 teams to the
NCAA tourney. Otherwise, every year it has been contributing at least
five. This year also there are five Big Ten teams in the Big Dance.
Post by Cricketwallah
why the perception IMHO is that Illinois hasnt been doing
*that* well, as it appears from above.
And nobody should ever laugh at Gene Keady. He did well with
a Purdue team (where its a lot harder to recruit than in
Illinois, not having a big obvious Chicago-connection which
produces huge numbers of great HS players every year)
Heh. Chicago is as close to Illinois as it is to Purdue. Maybe even a
couple of miles closer, actually. Most athletes get scholarships, so
there's hardly any out-of-state tuition issues. Moreover, folks in
Indiana seem to me to be always boasting about the popularity of
basketball in their state and stuff. They're always boasting about
their basketball traditions. The fact that IU and Purdue were doing so
well could only have helped recruitment.

In fact, Keady was a poor recruiter, and that's why they haven't been
able to make full use of the Chicago connection. That's one of the
reasons why some people at Purdue weren't entirely unhappy to see him
leave, in fact. A poor recruiter as such, further debilitated by age.
The best thing about the replacement, according to Purdue's campus
paper, is that he's a "relentless recruiter". (Their words.)

- and
Post by Cricketwallah
he won most of his 6 titles when the Big Ten was much better
than it has been lately. Those were the days when the Big
Ten schools were regularly contenders for national titles
and often did very well in the NCAA, and their graduates
often did very well in the NBA too. (Indiana, in the years
that Keady won his titles, won no less than *3* national
championships, they were *that* good - winning a Big Ten
title by actually beating Indiana in those days was really
a heck of an achievement. Illinois didnt do it very much
either - you'll note that good ole Lou-Do was certified
as a dead-set legend by Illinois this year, they even named
a bunch of things after him etc, and he had what, like 1
Big Ten title or something while he had so many "great years"
at Illinois?)
Lou Henson. He definitely had more than just one Big Ten title. 1984
and 1989, for sure. Maybe others. He had only one Final Four appearance
but that's one more than Keady. He had 14 seasons with 19+ wins in the
20 he coached at Illinois. Keady had 14 in the 25 he coached at Purdue.

Let's even assume the Big Ten was competitive then and it isn't now.
Still, on the national level, Keady's teams reached the Sweet 16s 5
times in his 25 years. Illinois has done it 4 times in the last 6, and
look set to do it again this year.
Post by Cricketwallah
(Note, BTW, that it was when Keady was just about starting
to coach in the Big 10 that Magic Johnson was the best
player in the Big Ten. Who is the best player today? Dee
Brown? Who will be lucky if has 1/16th the career that Magic
had in the pros.
Firstly, Magic Johnson joined the NBA three years before Keady first
coached Purdue. And he's just one guy. Nobody ever claimed that
Illinois has ATG players in their ranks. Indeed, not a single player
from Illinois would make the first two all-star national teams IMO. And
YET we're #1 nationally. The big deal about Illinois has been teamwork
among the three guards. (Super-corny slogans like, "There's no I in
team" abound on campus here, BTW.) There are no Emeka Okafors, Chris
Pauls, Salim Stoudamires, etc., and that's the main feature of this
team.

Post by Cricketwallah
the old days - a fair few national titles, a few national
finals losses, lots of Final Four teams etc. That hasnt
really been the case in the past few years).
Note that the Big Ten has had at least one team in the Final Four in
all years from 1999-2002. (I started following NCAA hoops only in
'98-9.) Often 2-3 teams in the Elite Eight in those years. Michigan
State won the whole thing in 2000. Only in 2003 and 2004 has the Big
Ten failed to produce a national-title contender.

Overall, in the last 7 years, the Big Ten have not been that much
weaker than they were in Keady's heyday. 2003 and 2004 have been down
years, yes, but before that it wasn't so bad.
Post by Cricketwallah
Post by Southpaw
reached the Big Ten tournament semis 6 straight times now, which I
believe is a unique achievement. In the last 7 years we've
Iam sure it is. Primarily because the Big Ten Tournament only
started about 7 years ago or so :-)
Yes, and it's been around for the same amount of time for all the teams
in the Big Ten. Giving them all equal opportunity to do what Illinois
has done - what a concept, indeed!

The old days were the
Post by Cricketwallah
"pure" days - when all you had was a regular season, and
you actually had to earn a title by being consistent against
good teams (what a concept).
Umm... these days also the Big Ten title is decided based on the
regular season, and being consistent there. The Big Ten tournament does
not decide the Big Ten title. The tournament title is something
different. Last year, for example, Illinois were Big Ten champions, but
the Big Ten tournament title went to Wisconsin who beat us in the
final. This year, Illinois won both.

(The Fab Five at Michigan, 3 of
Post by Cricketwallah
[...]
I'm not sure this is true.
Post by Southpaw
made the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney. We've reached the Sweet
Sixteens twice or thrice, and Elite Eights once. Not quite Duke, but
not an also-ran either IMO. Very few teams have consistently done
better - Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Arizona, and maybe one or two
others?
Not an also-ran, sure. But you can probably add Kentucky,
UConn etc to the names that stand out more than Illinois even
in the past few years (due to owning national titles, mostly).
UCLA, Wake, Maryland etc have had some monster years that
stick out in the memory too, at the tournament. Even Indiana,
with all their turmoil, ended up with a Final Four and a
National Title game appearance once. Thats the step that
Illinois has never taken, till this season.
Four Sweet Sixteen appearances in the last 6 years. Find 10 other
programs with that sort of consistency. In general, what happens in a
16-player knock-out tournament has a lot to do with chance. That's why
they call it "madness". However, you've had a pretty consistent season
if you've reached the round of 32 or the Sweet 16s, and that has
nothing to do with chance.
Post by Cricketwallah
Post by Southpaw
me the feeling is all too familiar. It's like watching India play
Pakistan in a series: as it winds down to the business end of things,
you start wondering exactly when we're going to choke.
Ah, but that was back in 1999. You should look at Illinois
today like you look at India vs Pakistan *today* - with
full confidence that we're gonna win, just like we did *in*
Pakistan last year :-) After all, world cricket is down
just as much as College Basketball is down nowadays (though
in basketball its cos all the good players go to the NBA
out of HS now, or when theyre freshmen, and a Senior-laden
team like Illinois is rare; in cricket its cos all the good
Actually, only two of Illinois' starters are seniors. And three others
on the bench. Of the three guards, of whom so much is being made out
(the three Sports Illustrated cover pic, for e.g.), only Luther Head is
a senior.

In fact, rumors are circling around campus that Deron Williams will
leave for the NBA after this season. There's even been the odd rumor
about Dee Brown joining the NBA draft after this season.

-Samarth.
Cricketwallah
2005-03-17 14:55:30 UTC
Post by Southpaw
Post by Cricketwallah
Its different doing well in the Big Ten when the league as a
whole is "down", than when its doing well, however. Thats
The Big Ten has been "down" only the last two years actually. Gene
Keady himself claimed that it is not "down" at all, during his
farewell. Only last year did the Big Ten only contribute 3 teams to the
NCAA tourney. Otherwise, every year it has been contributing at least
five. This year also there are five Big Ten teams in the Big Dance.
I disagree. Its not just about sending teams to the tournament,
its also how they do there. Personally I havent been "happy"
with the Big 10 performance in the tourney in ages - am hoping
that changes this year, but even with 5 teams Iam not particularly
hopeful. Only 1 is a real contender, and that to me by itself
shows the conference is down.
Post by Southpaw
Post by Cricketwallah
why the perception IMHO is that Illinois hasnt been doing
*that* well, as it appears from above.
And nobody should ever laugh at Gene Keady. He did well with
a Purdue team (where its a lot harder to recruit than in
Illinois, not having a big obvious Chicago-connection which
produces huge numbers of great HS players every year)
Heh. Chicago is as close to Illinois as it is to Purdue. Maybe even a
couple of miles closer, actually. Most athletes get scholarships, so
there's hardly any out-of-state tuition issues. Moreover, folks in
Indiana seem to me to be always boasting about the popularity of
basketball in their state and stuff. They're always boasting about
their basketball traditions. The fact that IU and Purdue were doing so
well could only have helped recruitment.
Youre not serious, surely? :-) Being "as close" means nothing -
Illinois is the home-state team. Yesterday on the news the
Illinois "getting ready" for the game was the #1 sports
headline, even ahead of the Bulls actual game in their push
for their first playoffs in a too many years. Purdue, in its
*best* years, wouldnt get any such recognition - never a
mention, hardly. Its not seen as "our" team. Illinois is,
even the local schools are, even places like NIU and SIU
get reports (as local state schools), heck when a team like
Valpo does well it gets reported on as a "close enough"
team (as does ND on a few occasions). But basically never
Purdue, whether they do well in basketball or football.
Illinois games get televised far oftener here too, and every
game is on local radio (with discussions afterwards etc, theyre
on the Score, the local sports station). Distance etc mean
nothing in that respect. Any Chicago kid (and there are a
lot of good ones over the years) prefer the home teams, some
even go to UIC if they cant go to UIUC (thus 2/3 really good
players, Sherell Ford etc a few yaers ago, went to UIC and
turned it into a good enough team to make the NCAA's for
a couple years too; Depaul has had this happen as well in
the past). Certainly not Purdue - its in bloody Indiana
for crying out loud, who wants to go *there*? :-)
Post by Southpaw
In fact, Keady was a poor recruiter, and that's why they haven't been
able to make full use of the Chicago connection. That's one of the
reasons why some people at Purdue weren't entirely unhappy to see him
leave, in fact. A poor recruiter as such, further debilitated by age.
The best thing about the replacement, according to Purdue's campus
paper, is that he's a "relentless recruiter". (Their words.)
Matt Painter, yes, he did a good job before at SIU, but lets
see how he does here. Keady could never recruit that well and
I think Painter wont do *that* well in recruiting either - but
he could still coach, well enough to do terrifically in the
Big 10 for several years (and I dont even like the guy
much).
Post by Southpaw
- and
Post by Southpaw
but that's one more than Keady. He had 14 seasons with 19+ wins in the
20 he coached at Illinois. Keady had 14 in the 25 he coached at Purdue.
Yes, always called Henson lou-do (mostly because we all said
he wore a toupee - still remember sitting 2 rows back from
the Illinois bench and chanting "Hey Lou, Nice Do" for 5
straight minutes when he came out at the start of the game,
until he turned and grinned at all of us :-) I thought he
had only 1 "untied" title win? Was one of the above tied?

Purdue made the Final Four in 1980 - before my time, but
cant quite remember if it was right before Keady or just
after he arrived (he's been there like 25 years now). Also,
BTW, Keady's Purdue sides, without huge talent, won 3
consecutive Big 10 titles in the 1990s (1994, 1995, 1996),
something thats only happened like twice in history I
think. (Personally I dont think this was *huge* because to
me the conference was already going down a bit by then, more
so than the 80s, but still it was quite an achievement in
those days, more than it would be today :-) Keady also
won 7 Big 10 Coach of the Year awards IIRC, a record still
I think.
Post by Southpaw
Let's even assume the Big Ten was competitive then and it isn't now.
Still, on the national level, Keady's teams reached the Sweet 16s 5
times in his 25 years. Illinois has done it 4 times in the last 6, and
look set to do it again this year.
Yes, thsi was always considered teh big hole in Keady's record,
even though he had good teams in the 90s they just werent very
high on talent IMHO.
Post by Southpaw
among the three guards. (Super-corny slogans like, "There's no I in
team" abound on campus here, BTW.) There are no Emeka Okafors, Chris
Pauls, Salim Stoudamires, etc., and that's the main feature of this
team.
No, I know. But a program often becomes heralded by getting to
Final Fours etc - else it isnt talked of much. And the second
way is by having really good pros - then, even if they didnt
do much in their time in the NCAA's, the program gets some
of the reflected credit, that sort of thing. Illinois and
Purdue, neither of them have really gotten huge profiles
for that reason in the past longish time (OTOH, Indiana was
huge with 3 national titles and a few final fours in the past
25 years; MSU same, with a few titles; Michigan had basically
no titles anywhere but produced NBA pros often and so got
reflected credit etc. There was a time people felt Duke was
unable to produce good pros - but they won so much at the
NCAA's that they got lots of credit anyway). Its sort of like
cricket in some ways - Bombay has no players in the national
side, but people still give it credit cos we've won Ranji
titles in the past few years. Delhi has done nothing, repeatedly,
for a few years - but people give it plenty of credit cos they
have Sehwag, Chopra, Gambhir, Nehra etc. Same with Punjab,
not done much until this year - but Yuvraj, Mongia, Harby
etc, and people say "arre, bahut player aa rahe hain hamare
Punjab se". Railways has done fine but has no profile most
of the time (everyone forgets Bangar, everything thinks
Murali Karthik is from TN, and then gets reminded he's
from Delhi :-) The Gujaratis insist theyre producing everyone
too - Parthiv, Irfan, Zaheer, Munaf etc (you cant have Munaf
*and* Zaheer, but they do :-)
Post by Cricketwallah
the old days - a fair few national titles, a few national
finals losses, lots of Final Four teams etc. That hasnt
really been the case in the past few years).
Note that the Big Ten has had at least one team in the Final Four in
all years from 1999-2002. (I started following NCAA hoops only in
'98-9.) Often 2-3 teams in the Elite Eight in those years. Michigan
State won the whole thing in 2000. Only in 2003 and 2004 has the Big
Ten failed to produce a national-title contender.
Overall, in the last 7 years, the Big Ten have not been that much
weaker than they were in Keady's heyday. 2003 and 2004 have been down
years, yes, but before that it wasn't so bad.
In the 1980s the Big Ten won *three* national titles - and
twice had *two* teams in the Final Four. Even int he early
1990s they kept doing really well - Michigan reached the
Title Game twice in a row (after winning the whole thing
in 1989). We used to legitimately argue that our conference
was *the* best in the country, better than the ACC - havent
dared to make *that* argument in years (this year we will
have, at most, 1 Final Four team; 1 real contender I think.
The ACC, their optimists at least, think they could, with
the right breaks, have *3* in the Final Four - even if it
doesnt work out, thats how many real contenders they have).

The 1990s were a bit down to start with - still doing well
enough, still many Final Four appearances but not many
titles. The 2000s have only really had MSU, IMHO - Wisconsin
made the Final Four once too, but it was a surprising
year; and Indiana shocked everyone by going all the way to
the title game a couple years ago, but was not a consistently
good team even in that year itself IMHO. MSU made the Final
Four 3 consecutive times in this period - they were the one
standout IMHO, unlike in the past (when Bharat talks of
not doing well since 1989... MSU note has once had 3 straight
Final Four appearances including a title, Michigan has
back-to-back Title Game appearances, Indiana has a couple
of Final Fours since etc, and this is all from the same
conference. That ends up being remembered a whole lot more
than 3 or 4 Sweet Sixteens in a row, with no Final Fours
in the end).
Post by Southpaw
Post by Cricketwallah
Post by Southpaw
reached the Big Ten tournament semis 6 straight times now, which I
believe is a unique achievement. In the last 7 years we've
Iam sure it is. Primarily because the Big Ten Tournament only
started about 7 years ago or so :-)
Yes, and it's been around for the same amount of time for all the teams
in the Big Ten. Giving them all equal opportunity to do what Illinois
has done - what a concept, indeed!
Yes yes, but to be top 4 out of 11 teams is how good, in
the end? :-) Especially when the whole conference is down
in general, and a couple teams basically suck anyway? :-)
Post by Southpaw
The old days were the
Post by Cricketwallah
"pure" days - when all you had was a regular season, and
you actually had to earn a title by being consistent against
good teams (what a concept).
Umm... these days also the Big Ten title is decided based on the
regular season, and being consistent there. The Big Ten tournament does
not decide the Big Ten title. The tournament title is something
different. Last year, for example, Illinois were Big Ten champions, but
the Big Ten tournament title went to Wisconsin who beat us in the
final. This year, Illinois won both.
Yes I know - but the "automatic NCAA bid" no longer goes to
the regular-season title winner, but rather the "tournament
title winner". Dont care much for that in itself personally,
but thats just me :-)
Post by Southpaw
(The Fab Five at Michigan, 3 of
Post by Cricketwallah
[...]
Which part? That Final Fours get remembered more? I really
do think thats true. Or did you mean the football part? :-)
(Couple natinoal titles in football in the past half-decade
I think, thats not half bad, and consistent contenders
lately more so than in basketball).
Post by Southpaw
Four Sweet Sixteen appearances in the last 6 years. Find 10 other
programs with that sort of consistency. In general, what happens in a
16-player knock-out tournament has a lot to do with chance. That's why
they call it "madness". However, you've had a pretty consistent season
if you've reached the round of 32 or the Sweet 16s, and that has
nothing to do with chance.
Um hum. Id take one national title over 8 Sweet Sixteen
appearances myself - far more memorable. Even 1 Final Four
is worth more than a whole bunch of Sweet Sixteen's IMHO.
Everyone has a down year or two, or can - but to get right
up to the top takes a whole heck of a lot more than to be
consistently middling IMHO. You think Kentucky fans wouldnt
trade their 3/4 great years in the past 8/10 for a whole
bunch of Sweet Sixteens? Or Syracuse? Or most of them,
even? It isnt very often (and was even less so till the
1990s) that *total* wildcard teams came out of nowhere
even in the "madness" to win the whole thing. All good teams
didnt always go far- but the teams that went far almost
always were pretty damn good ones, not just bad teams on
a lucky run.
Post by Southpaw
Actually, only two of Illinois' starters are seniors. And three others
on the bench. Of the three guards, of whom so much is being made out
(the three Sports Illustrated cover pic, for e.g.), only Luther Head is
a senior.
In fact, rumors are circling around campus that Deron Williams will
leave for the NBA after this season. There's even been the odd rumor
about Dee Brown joining the NBA draft after this season.
Yes I know - but Id expect at least 2 of the guards to go,
especially with a decent tournament behind them. And 2
starters and 3 bench guys isnt chopped liver - with 1
extra guard IMHO almost sure to go, thats 6 players gone
(out of basically a 12-man squad). Thats pretty high
turnover. (But thats still better-off than many other
teams - there is lots of experience on Illinois, and good-
player experience. Duke, for example, has shocked with how
good theyve done this year, cos they were expected to be
bad - the guy who would have easily been their best player
ended up not playing for them at all, because at the last
minute he decided to go to the NBA instead :-) And their
junior-star-to-be, of course, is starring for the Bulls
this year :-)

Sadiq [ who doesnt know how he is ending up defending Keady ] Yusuf
-Samarth.
R. Bharat Rao
2005-03-16 17:14:22 UTC
How many final 4's... that is what I'm
talking about.

One in 89 and bupkiss since then.

In the meantime, Michigan, Indiana, and MSU
have all been the Final 4... And "shared"
big 10 titles are nice, but not a whole lot.

This year, we are finally getting it done at a
national level.

Bharat [who thinks the Flying Illini were hell of a
lot more talented than this group, but this is a
better team]
Southpaw
2005-03-16 17:52:07 UTC
Post by R. Bharat Rao
How many final 4's... that is what I'm
talking about.
Which is a whole lot different from being a "hoops also-ran". As I said
elsewhere, a 16-team knock out is a bit of a lottery. That's why it's
called "madness". A program that has consistently made it to the Sweet
16 is hardly a "hoops also-ran". Don't let Dick Vitale tell you
otherwise.

For that matter, I don't think Aslam's Pacers are "hoops also-rans"
either. They've been an Eastern Conference Powerhouse, a formidable
opponent for any team in the league, for as long as I've been following
the NBA. And believe me, it pains me to acknowledge that, as much as I
dislike the SPacers.

-Samarth.
better team]
Cricketwallah
2005-03-17 13:58:07 UTC
Post by R. Bharat Rao
How many final 4's... that is what I'm
talking about.
One in 89 and bupkiss since then.
Yep, this is what I meant too. You get some sort of national
recognition for reaching Sweet Sixteens and stuff - but not
really unless youre a real Cinderella. After all, 16 teams
do it every year. Its when you break thru and make a few
Final Fours that your team gets proper attention (mostly
because you then have a whole week for the media to focus
on only 4 of you). Thats the real thing, even if you do it
just once or twice and dont do a whole lot in the other
years in between. Your program gets much more recognition
that way IMHO.
Post by R. Bharat Rao
In the meantime, Michigan, Indiana, and MSU
have all been the Final 4... And "shared"
big 10 titles are nice, but not a whole lot.
Yep - first #1 in-season national ranking in how long? I dont
even remember the Flying Illini doing that much, really.
BTW, it isnt just Michigan, Indiana, MSU getting to the
Final Four since - I think OSU did it too, and didnt Clem
Haskin's Minnesota do it a few years ago as well? All of
the 3 above actually got to the title game, Michigan and
MSU both winning and getting there more than once since
the 89 loss for the Illini (even if Michigan's win came only
a couple days later :-)
Post by R. Bharat Rao
This year, we are finally getting it done at a
national level.
Bharat [who thinks the Flying Illini were hell of a
lot more talented than this group, but this is a
better team]
Yes, btu times are different too - College Basketball overall
isnt nearly what it used to be, too many best-HS-players
leaving for the NBA straight out of HS, and too many other
really good players leaving college in 1 or 2 years. In 89
that was still prettty rare - hardly anyone went straight
out of college, and most college guys ended up staying for
more than a couple years too. The entire talent level in
College Basketball was better (it was not quite as competitive
in terms of overall depth however - the entire 64-man field
is probably closer now than in those days). That Illini
team had what, Battle, Bardo, Gill, Marcus Liberty,
Anderson etc? Lots of eventual pros there, far more I think
than this years team will end up having (UNC will end up
having more, or longer-serving, pros than UI will this
year I think, even if they lose far more games).

Sadiq [ Bardo is "experting" here nowadays ] Yusuf
j***@gmail.com
2005-03-17 15:25:28 UTC
Some comments about basketball/India Pak cricket etc

1. I have been exposed to a number of Indian movies lately because
they are always on when I visit a certain friend. She is from West
Africa. I have not seen any since I was a little kid.

I notice that there is always a basketball present. Anyone else notice
this? Either some cool cat is dribbling it (double dribbling,
travelling more likely), or it is just sitting somewhere posing for the
kool kat.

My guess is that Bollywood does not care about the sport itself but the
rock is the desire for all things America and modern and hip. Nobody
cares about how to defend a pick-and-roll, for example. If I am wrong
on this then I expect all lot Indian kids in the next generation to
have ball handling skills.

Its intersting that they have picked the basketball as the symbol of
American dreams. Why not a skateboard or pick up football etc?

2. Much as I love hoop action, if I watch a Pak/India game on TV then
I will not watch any other sports on TV for months. That's just too
much TV. I dont know how you guys do it.

3. Untill recently I lived next to the famous Nate Thurmond(?) court
in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park panhandle. It has some of the best
pick up game action in the city (and some of the crappiest too on some
days) if you can get past all the drugs, fighting, macho posturing,
ball hogging etc.

Some of the regulars there would call me "India". Sometimes as an
insult ("Give him the 3, India got nothing") sometimes as a compliment
("Watch India, he's hitting things" (meaning blocking shots). I could
go the whole day without blocking a single shot, but if I got one of
two early ones then I could end up with dozen. Then guys on my own
team would start talking shit about playing for India's pride and
"rejected by Indian customs" (why customs?)

I hope that Indian Customs would recognize my efforts on their behalf
some day and award me a medal or something. I hope that they are as
currupt as Pakistan customs. I am from Pakistan.

4. I run into a few decent pakistani basketball players in the US, but
never any indians (not counting ABCDs). My sample is very small.

5. I quit basketball a couple of years ago to focus on my squash game.
I turned 40 this year and I cant play both. THey trash my feet the
same way.

In the lower brackets (C and D, for example) of squash tournament play
in the US there are probably equal number of Pakistanis and Indians.
In the higher brackets (A and B) I am likely to run into 8 Indians for
every 1 Pakistani. There are a lot of Indian kids (including ABCDs) in
the US playing high level squash. I find this very interesting. I
have some socio-cultural theories/guesses. High level squash in
Pakistan is professional and ghetto. In india it is amatuer and upper
middle class.
CiL
2005-03-17 16:07:42 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
I notice that there is always a basketball present. Anyone else notice
this? Either some cool cat is dribbling it (double dribbling,
travelling more likely), or it is just sitting somewhere posing for the
kool kat.
actually nearly all urban schools today in India, one can see the kids
playing basketball. I see it in various cities across India.

CiL
who used to squat near the sidelines and watch the girls play
basketball years ago while at school. a very enjoyable n lovely
game.....
Southpaw
2005-03-17 22:59:29 UTC
Post by Cricketwallah
Post by R. Bharat Rao
How many final 4's... that is what I'm
talking about.
One in 89 and bupkiss since then.
Yep, this is what I meant too. You get some sort of national
recognition for reaching Sweet Sixteens and stuff - but not
really unless youre a real Cinderella. After all, 16 teams
do it every year. Its when you break thru and make a few
Final Fours that your team gets proper attention (mostly
because you then have a whole week for the media to focus
on only 4 of you). Thats the real thing, even if you do it
just once or twice and dont do a whole lot in the other
years in between. Your program gets much more recognition
that way IMHO.
I'll say one thing about measuring sporting success/excellence. If your
best argument is, "this achievement is better because it got more media
attention/recognition", then you have no argument at all.

By this measure, we can anoint Azharuddin's 121 at Lords in '90 the
greatest innings of all time. The pinnacle of the English cricket
season - everyone and his grandmum was watching. And the press ran out
of superlatives in describing it. Whereas, based on the *facts*
surrounding the innings, it was a wonderfully strokeful innings, but
nothing out of this world in terms of importance.

It's the same with the NCAAs. If you make the Final Fours once in a
decade and do squat otherwise, your program may still get more
recognition/attention from the media, than if you made the Sweet 16s
four times in six years without making the Final Fours. But, in fact,
very few teams can consistently make it to the Sweet 16s year after
year after year. And that shows the true quality of the program: how
hard it is to achieve what it has.

A knock-out tournament leaves plenty of room for the odd series of
remarkable upsets leaving an unexpected contender in the final rounds.
Just look at the ATP tennis rankings. They'll place a guy who made 4
grand-slam semis over one who won Wimbledon but didn't make the last 16
of any other tournament.

-Samarth.
m***@yahoo.com
2005-03-16 17:42:15 UTC
I think ESPN/Star is first trying to get rights to gilly danda, college
kabaddi and gully cricket.

College basketball is after that..
Bharat
rosh
2005-03-16 20:01:17 UTC
Here's what you do. Add a TV tuner card to your PC, stream video over
IP & watch it wherever you want.

Same setup for the other way. If you want to watch cricket matches(or
any other Indian channel), pay for cable internet @ your hometown,
Broadcast it & watch it on your PC. The cable internet cost @ your home
would be easily recovered if you also do VOIP & webcam conferencing

The only hassle is, due to power outages, somebody needs to
shutdown/restart your machine everytime the power goes out
R. Bharat Rao
2005-03-17 19:08:39 UTC
Actually, I am taping the 3rd and 4th rounds
courtesy tivo, the greatest invention since err..
well tv . I Just set it up to blanket tape all
4 days of the 3rd and 4th rounds in the 60-odd
hours of coverage I had left on my hard disk
(after I removed all the cricket stuff - sigh:-(

Of course, now they will lose in the 2nd round
and Sadiq will gleefully trumpet this for the
next 11 months.

Bharat
g***@gmail.com
2005-03-17 18:32:16 UTC
Post by R. Bharat Rao
Greetings to India rsc'ers
I am in India for the next couple of weeks and the good news
is that I'll get to see a lot of cricket. The bad news is that
I'll miss "March Madness" -- the US College Basketball tourney --
just about my favorite annual sporting event -- right when my
beloved Illini are the unanimous #1 in the country.
It beggars the imagination how Indians of all people would identify
with a team which chooses to demean and mock an entire race.

you should be able to catch the game at one of the many " american"
bars along Brigade/residency road. In your Chief Illinek t-shirt you
will fit in with the other retards who have everything from GAP to
Chief Wahoo emblazoned on their apparel.
Maybe you can all do the tomahawk chop when your team makes a basket.

-Ganesh P Shetty
R. Bharat Rao
2005-03-17 19:13:16 UTC
Buy you a beer there Ganesh? It may help to
lubricate whatever is stuck in your craw...

Bharat
p***@hotmail.com
2005-03-17 20:03:27 UTC
Illinois to edge out UNC and come out tops in a thriller. Kentucky and
Wake to make the final four - Duke bumped by Kentucky in regionals.
Halekala
2005-03-27 08:12:07 UTC
Post by R. Bharat Rao
Greetings to India rsc'ers
I am in India for the next couple of weeks and the good news
is that I'll get to see a lot of cricket. The bad news is that
I'll miss "March Madness" -- the US College Basketball tourney --
just about my favorite annual sporting event -- right when my
beloved Illini are the unanimous #1 in the country.
Have you heard of the great escape by Illinois today? If Louisville-WVU game
was the appetizer this was the main course. What a day for the tournament!
Both games went to overtime. Both had a huge come from behind to force OT.

R. Bharat Rao
2005-04-02 09:43:06 UTC
Post by Halekala
Post by R. Bharat Rao
Greetings to India rsc'ers
I am in India for the next couple of weeks and the good news
is that I'll get to see a lot of cricket. The bad news is that
I'll miss "March Madness" -- the US College Basketball tourney --
just about my favorite annual sporting event -- right when my
beloved Illini are the unanimous #1 in the country.
Have you heard of the great escape by Illinois today? If Louisville-WVU
game was the appetizer this was the main course. What a day for the
tournament! Both games went to overtime. Both had a huge come from behind
to force OT.
WHAT A GAME!!!!

Am I glad I taped both games and then stayed away from USA Today in
FRA airport... I was half falling asleep Tue night with jetlag having
already
watched the first game -- with the Illini 15 back, I thought no chance --
but
what a comeback... Got to feel for the 'zona fans though...

Bharat
a***@hotmail.com
2005-04-02 09:46:17 UTC
State wins this year !! go spartans

Halekala
2005-03-27 08:16:37 UTC
Post by R. Bharat Rao
Greetings to India rsc'ers
I am in India for the next couple of weeks and the good news
is that I'll get to see a lot of cricket. The bad news is that
I'll miss "March Madness" -- the US College Basketball tourney --
just about my favorite annual sporting event -- right when my
beloved Illinois are the unanimous #1 in the country.