So is it un-Christian to do yoga?
NewsToBeRead
2010-10-09 05:15:48 UTC
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/yoga-what-is-it-exactly-2398028/

So is it un-Christian to do yoga?

by Liz Brody, Shine Staff, 8 hours 30 minutes ago

Should a Christian do the Downward Dog?

This is not a trick question, but rather an issue raised by Baptist leader
Albert Mohler that, like an egg beater, has whipped up the yoga community's
usual calm into a peaked, frothy fluster. Then again, aren't we all a bit
confused about this body-bending, mind-enhancing practice from the East?
In the name of clarity, here is an attempt to answer what yoga is-and what
it isn't.

The word yoga... Yoga traditions go back thousands of years, and today have
spawned more than 100 schools, according to the American Yoga Association.
This is partly why any discussion about the practice is so complicated. "In
Sanskrit, 'yoga' can mean anything from an astronomical conjunction to
yoking an animal to going to war; it's what you put in front of the
word-hatha, raja, tantric-that defines it," explains David White, PhD,
professor of religious studies at the University of California, Santa
Barbara, and editor of the forthcoming book,Yoga in Practice. "Not to say
there is a pure hatha, raga, or tantric tradition-they were all mixed over
the years in different ways by people in India, as well as the West, to
attract followers." In other words, what's taught today in gyms, studios,
and retreats around the country is inevitably a smoothie of traditions,
usually featuring one ingredient-the physical poses-that was originally a
very small part of the recipe.

Is yoga a religion? Categorically no, if you ask most teachers and devotees.
"Simply put, yoga is not a religion," says Aadil Palkhivala, who grew up in
Bombay and studied with B.K.S. Iyengar before founding Purna Yoga. "It's a
process that helps you become physically stronger, more mentally alert, and
more emotionally stable, so you can be a better Christian, Jew, Muslim, or
whatever you care to be."

Digging far back into the roots of yoga, however, scholars and historians
hedge, noting that the ancient texts are quite difficult to understand. "My
answer is that it can be" a religion, says Stefanie Syman, author of The
Subtle Body: The story of yoga in America, the new book that prompted
Mohler's call for Christians to abstain. "As a spiritual technology, yoga
has been attached to Hinduism, Jainism, and Buddhism, so it hasn't been
affiliated with a single religion-that's true. But it developed to liberate
the soul in this life, and how that was described and what theology was
associated with it varies somewhat dramatically within the yoga traditions."
White, who has read the original texts in Sanskrit, and is the author of
Sinister Yogis, agrees with Syman. "Certain yoga schools do speak of 'god,'
though not in the way that we do. The Sanskrit word used simply means master
and not necessarily Master of the Universe; it could apply to a human. But
there was never a church or gospel of yoga. It's a very tricky question."

So is it un-Christian to do yoga? There is no one answer, but some Christian
yoga practitioners definitely make the opposite case. "Our practice combines
Biblically-based meditation with yoga," says Lisa Abbott, a spokesperson for
Yawheh Yoga. "Each class opens with a prayer and introduces a selected
portion of scripture that students focus on throughout." Developed five
years ago, Yawheh Yoga has certified nearly 100 teachers, including Abbott,
who points out that the Bible (Joshua 1.8), instructs believers to meditate
on His word. "We feel," she says, "that we're fulfilling a Biblical mandate
to help Christians grow in their faith by meditating on His scripture."

Yoga is about who can do the nuttiest pretzel pose. Not quite.
"Traditionally the poses are actually a very small part of what you're
expected to do as a spiritual aspirant following the path of yoga," says
Syman. The breathing and meditative aspects are much more important.

Is the body a vehicle for reaching consciousness with the divine? Mohler
objected to this aspect of yoga, but is it true? Possibly, if you go way
back into the traditions. What's more accurate, however, is yoga's use of
the physical poses to help prepare the mind for meditation, scholars say.
As Palkhivala puts it, the physical practice, rather than trying to macrame
your limbs, is intended to free the body of knots, "When you have aches and
pains, it's hard to focus the mind. And if you don't take care of your body
where are you going to live?"

Does yoga assume we can find divinity within ourselves? Many practitioners
do believe in the idea that you can radically transform your consciousness
and experience the divine, says Syman. It's as if your own boundaries
dissolve and you become connected with a larger spirituality. "That's quite
different from the Christian idea of a separate god or one you're waiting to
meet."

What about chanting weird Sanskrit phrases you don't understand? You could
say the same for listening to Gregorian chants or repeating Hebrew prayers
when you don't speak the language. Mantra yoga, says Syman, is one of the
techniques developed to aid in concentration. "We use the word 'namaste'
which means 'I bow to you,'" says Palkhivala, "which is an act of humility.
We also use the Gayatri mantra, which simply invokes light, as in,
illuminate my consciousness."

Is the American version truly yoga?
Face it, few of us have the time or savings to sit for hours and practice
yoga as it was meant to be done. And if some purists compare the modern
distillation as the Cheez Whiz of a glorious tradition, plenty of studies
show that it improves health, from boosting mood to aiding weight loss to
helping breast cancer patients recover.

"Much to the dismay of many," says David Romanelli, "I started Yoga and
Chocolate, Yoga and Wine, and Yoga for Foodies. But I always make the case
that the world is a better place with more people doing any kind of yoga.
And I'd actually like to invite Albert Mohler just to try a yoga class. I
bet he'd love it."
Mr.B1ack
2010-10-09 07:00:03 UTC
Didn't you know ..... life is supposed to be SUFFERING
and PAIN. That way you'll concentrate on the afterlife,
and do exactly what your preacher commands.

'Yoga' ... well ... might give the peons the stupid idea
that feeling better - without any god intervening - is,
you know, like a GOOD thing ...................
StraightDrive
2010-10-09 08:09:19 UTC
Post by Mr.B1ack
Didn't you know ..... life is supposed to be SUFFERING
and PAIN. That way you'll concentrate on the afterlife,
and do exactly what your preacher commands.
'Yoga' ... well ... might give the peons the stupid idea
that feeling better - without any god intervening - is,
you know, like a GOOD thing ...................
The SAME FUCKING CHRISTIAN MISSIONARIES go to every other country and
CONVERT people of other religions into pedophilic christianity under the
guise of "social work"

HYPOCRISY is the "middle name" of these FUCKING EVIL CHRISTIAN
MISSIONARIES........

bet he'd love it."
Mr.B1ack
2010-10-10 06:30:35 UTC
Post by StraightDrive
Post by Mr.B1ack
Didn't you know ..... life is supposed to be SUFFERING
and PAIN. That way you'll concentrate on the afterlife,
and do exactly what your preacher commands.
'Yoga' ... well ... might give the peons the stupid idea
that feeling better - without any god intervening - is,
you know, like a GOOD thing ...................
The SAME FUCKING CHRISTIAN MISSIONARIES go to every other country and
CONVERT people of other religions into pedophilic christianity under the
guise of "social work"
HYPOCRISY is the "middle name" of these FUCKING EVIL CHRISTIAN
MISSIONARIES........
What's "Christian" has degenerated severely under
the administration of the fundamentalist/evangelical
faction ...........

Jesus would use his death-ray vision and burn 'em
to ashes ...........
liberal
2010-10-10 19:51:55 UTC
Post by StraightDrive
Post by Mr.B1ack
Didn't you know ..... life is supposed to be SUFFERING
and PAIN. That way you'll concentrate on the afterlife,
and do exactly what your preacher commands.
'Yoga' ... well ... might give the peons the stupid idea
that feeling better - without any god intervening - is,
you know, like a GOOD thing ...................
The SAME FUCKING CHRISTIAN MISSIONARIES go to every other country and
CONVERT people of other religions into pedophilic christianity under the
guise of "social work"
HYPOCRISY is the "middle name" of these FUCKING EVIL CHRISTIAN
MISSIONARIES........
   What's "Christian" has degenerated severely under
   the administration of the fundamentalist/evangelical
   faction ...........
Really? Maybe you need to study the history of the catholic church
(the first "christian church) to see that except for the first 100
years, christianity has always been degenerate.
   Jesus would use his death-ray vision and burn 'em
   to ashes ...........-
You might thinkso, but the words of Jesus have been "re-interpreted"
and "clarified" too many times to be certain what he really meant.
Mr.B1ack
2010-10-11 14:40:17 UTC
Post by liberal
Post by StraightDrive
Post by Mr.B1ack
[...]
Or whether he was making sense at all. I tend to
think of him as one of those guys you see in the
alleyway arguing with a trash can. Of course
there was no formal definition for schiztophrenia
a couple millenia ago ... so that some guys might
equate 'affected' with 'holy' ...... wouldn't be
the first time, or the last. :-)

And then there's the issue of humans having the
slightest grasp of what anything with an IQ of
10,000 ('divine' or not) is really thinking or
wants or much of *anything* .... perhaps an
explaination of why 'deism' was so popular
around the time the USA was founded.

As much as religions and their 'holy books' have
been re-hashed, re-interpreted, re-translated
and bowlderized to fit political agendas ....
maybe vanilla 'deism' is the most appropriate
persuit for anyone convinced 'supernatural'
stuff goes on.