All-time India XI
Ramapriya
2016-09-22 03:31:16 UTC
On the eve of our Test #500, Wisden has named the following as what it feels is the best all-time Indian team:

Sunil Gavaskar
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
Kapil Dev
MS Dhoni (c)
Anil Kumble
Javagal Srinath
Zaheer Khan
Bishan Singh Bedi

12th man: Mohammad Azharuddin

It's interesting that each of these has played during my time, which isn't always the case when an all-time XI gets picked, but that probably is because ours isn't that old a cricketing country. I've little to crib about but if it had been me, I'd have picked the intelligent Gavaskar as captain, Vijay Hazare for Srinath and not let Azhar come anywhere near the team.

Ramapriya
RH156RH
2016-09-22 07:55:29 UTC
Post by Ramapriya
Sunil Gavaskar
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
Kapil Dev
MS Dhoni (c)
Anil Kumble
Javagal Srinath
Zaheer Khan
Bishan Singh Bedi
12th man: Mohammad Azharuddin
It's interesting that each of these has played during my time, which isn't always the case when an all-time XI gets picked, but that probably is because ours isn't that old a cricketing country. I've little to crib about but if it had been me, I'd have picked the intelligent Gavaskar as captain, Vijay Hazare for Srinath and not let Azhar come anywhere near the team.
Ramapriya
They have ignored players from the All-India pre independence side who would have a good shout for selection:

Fast bowler Mohammad Nissar (FC bowling average of 17) http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/player/31791.html

RFM allrounder Amar Singh (FC bowling average of 18)
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/player/26228.html

Batsman Vijay Merchant (FC batting average of 71)
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/player/30996.html

SLA allrounder Vinoo Mankad (Test double 2109 runs and 162 wickets in 44 matches)
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/player/30939.html

I would also prefer Chandresekar to Kumble. On his day was far more destructive. RH
John Hall
2016-09-22 09:01:19 UTC
Post by Ramapriya
On the eve of our Test #500, Wisden has named the following as what it
Sunil Gavaskar
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
Kapil Dev
MS Dhoni (c)
Anil Kumble
Javagal Srinath
Zaheer Khan
Bishan Singh Bedi
12th man: Mohammad Azharuddin
It's interesting that each of these has played during my time, which
isn't always the case when an all-time XI gets picked, but that
probably is because ours isn't that old a cricketing country.
Yes, I noticed that there was no one before about 1970. From earlier
times, you could make a case for Vijay Merchant, Amar Singh and Mohammad
Nissar. You could also argue for Kohli in place of Laxman and for
Chandrasekhar in place of Kumble. And I think I'd put Dhoni before Kapil
Dev in the batting order.
Post by Ramapriya
I've little to crib about but if it had been me, I'd have picked the
intelligent Gavaskar as captain, Vijay Hazare for Srinath and not let
Azhar come anywhere near the team.
Hazare for Srinath? That would leave you only two quick bowlers which,
especially if they are to play outside the subcontinent, might not be
enough. (Yes, Hazare could bowl medium pace, but had only 20 Test
wickets at 61, so can't really be considered to be an all-rounder.) His
inclusion would also seem to give you one more batsman than you need.
--
John Hall
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and born in sin"
a former director of the Bank of England
Jayen
As a wicket-keeper-batsman, Dhoni deserves his place, but what if a pure wicket-keeper (batting be damned) were being chosen? Would any of Engineer, Kirmani or Mongia be able to replace Dhoni?
Ramapriya
2016-09-22 12:11:14 UTC
Post by Jayen
As a wicket-keeper-batsman, Dhoni deserves his place, but what if a pure wicket-keeper (batting be damned) were being chosen? Would any of Engineer, Kirmani or Mongia be able to replace Dhoni?
Among the ones I've seen*, I suppose it'd have to be Kirmani. Although 'keeping has naff-all to do with the opposition, Kirmani was for some reason always sub-par against WI. Engineer too was a decent wk, from what I've read.

Ramapriya

* in Tests. In all forms of the game, Sadanand Viswanath is the best wk I've seen, by some distance.
John Hall
2016-09-22 15:25:33 UTC
Post by Jayen
As a wicket-keeper-batsman, Dhoni deserves his place, but what if a
pure wicket-keeper (batting be damned) were being chosen? Would any of
Engineer, Kirmani or Mongia be able to replace Dhoni?
I would have thought that Kirmani was the best keeper, but I'm no expert
on Indian cricket. (Or on English cricket, for that matter!)
RH156RH
2016-09-23 18:28:07 UTC
Post by John Hall
Post by Jayen
As a wicket-keeper-batsman, Dhoni deserves his place, but what if a
pure wicket-keeper (batting be damned) were being chosen? Would any of
Engineer, Kirmani or Mongia be able to replace Dhoni?
I would have thought that Kirmani was the best keeper, but I'm no expert
on Indian cricket. (Or on English cricket, for that matter!)
--
Engineer was the best Indian keeper I ever saw. RH